April 2012

You are currently browsing the monthly archive for April 2012.

A new study revealed that frequently lighting paraffin wax candles around your bathtub in an unventilated bathroom could be dangerous to your health. These candles emit harmful fumes that are linked to asthma and lung cancer. Read the full story about this study on BBC News.

Soy candles, on the other hand, do not release harmful toxins into the air you breathe and are a healthier choice for a luxurious candlelit bubble bath.

Paraffin wax candles introduce dangerous emissions and do more than pollute the air with smoke. Unless otherwise stated, nearly all candles use paraffin wax, a cheap, plentiful residue of refined petroleum. Paraffin has a high melting point and it requires an even higher temperature to combust.

Paraffin is a petroleum product and when petroleum is not fully combusted, petrol-carbon soot is produced, which is chemically similar to the smoke plumes you see from a big diesel truck. According to the EPA, paraffin candles give off petrol-carbon soot, which can blacken walls, ceilings and furniture; contaminate ventilation ductwork in your home; and add potential carcinogens into the air you breathe.

So if a hot, relaxing bath is on your mind after a long day of work, do yourself (and your home) a favor and only light soy candles.

  • Share/Save/Bookmark